I grew up with a wonderful father and feel very fortunate in that regard. His one shortcoming, however, was that he worked entirely too much to support us (there were three children and my mother, who stayed at home to take care of us until I was in high school), making him somewhat emotionally distant. He is now a lot better in that area, but I always hoped that one day when I had children, my husband would not have that same attribute.
I am more than happy to say that Bryan is most definitely NOT like my father in that respect. He and Jonathan share an incredible relationship that seems to deepen more and more as Jonathan gets older. From the moment Jonathan was born, Bryan was a "hands on" Dad--getting up in the middle of the night for feedings, sleeping on the couch while Jonathan slept in his swing and receiving his fair share of spit-up coatings from our little reflux baby. Barring changing Number Two diapers (which Bryan will do, but he REALLY has a strong gag reflex and I honestly don't really mind), Bryan has been a 100% equal parent. Even though I sometimes feel like I am doing the majority of the work, it's really more that it's just in my nature to do things rather than something that is Bryan's fault.
So, in honor of my wonderful hubby, here are ten reasons why Bryan is a wonderful father. These are not in any particular order and are just a few of many, many reasons from which I have to chose:
1. He knows just how to tickle Jonathan with his goatee, such that Jonathan squeals like a girl.
2. He reads Jonathan Dr. Seuss books in funny voices.
3. He worries about Jonathan getting hurt more than I do.
4. He makes Jonathan the best peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a 23 month old has ever seen.
5. He snuggles Jonathan in the morning while Jonathan eats a snack and watches Thomas.
6. He tries to be patient, even though Jonathan is whiny sometimes and even though I know it gets on Bryan's nerves like nothing else.
7. He is always willing to take Jonathan and give Mommy a little alone time, knowing that makes for a happy family overall.
8. He and Jonathan wore matching shirts to the Father's Day breakfast at church today and he actually seemed pleased about it (although I suspect he thought it was a little corny).
9. He sings songs to comfort Jonathan when he is grouchy or not feeling well.
10. He is openly affectionate with Jonathan, encouraging Jonathan to give hugs and say "I love you."
The fact that I picked the perfect person to be my husband is confirmed every day in little interactions between Bryan and Jonathan. I am so thankful to have these two wonderful guys in my life. Happy Father's Day honey and to my Dad and to all the other great fathers out there!