Thursday, March 27, 2008

Kitchen Madness

In 2002, Bryan and I purchased our house at an incredible price and we have happily nested here for over six years. Before we moved in, we drywalled the living room, dining room and our bedroom. We painted all of those rooms and also the bathroom and the room that would become Jonathan's bedroom. Before Jonathan was born, we put new flooring in his room and updated the lighting. The big gaping hole has been the kitchen. A kitchen remodel is EXTREMELY expensive and was something that we, as our 2002 selves, thought would happen one day.

That day has come as we are currently in the midst of a complete rehab. Prior to beginning this project, we had no dishwasher, no ice maker, no double-bowled sink. And our washer and dryer were downstairs, requiring a strategic duck under an antiquated sewer pipe that was probably appropriately placed when it was installed but not so much when they dug out the basement in the 1960s.

So here is what we have lived with for six years:





Of particular hatred, for me at least, was the hideous poop brown sheet linoleum and the faux brick behind the stove. Ick. Regardless, we made it work. Finally, this year we decided to do a re-fi and pull out some money and do a complete renovation. This involved demolition initially and then new drywall. We also split the room up so it is now two rooms, kitchen and utility area. There will be a dishwasher, an ice maker in the refrigerator, a double sink with a sprayer (!) AND the washer and dryer will be on the first floor. Oh, and that hideous linoleum? Soon it will be lovely ceramic tile.

Since the project just started a week ago, it's not quite there yet, but here is where it is currently:







Obviously, still a lot of work to do. Picture it with cabinets and "jalapeno jelly" green walls, new cabinets and counter top and appliances. It's going to be awesome! For now, however, we are making due with disposable dinnerware and a refrigerator in our dining room. It's not glamorous but it's working so far. Kudos to Bryan and my dad for undertaking this task--you guys rock!!

8 comments:

supermommysquared said...

YEAH!!!! I am so happy for you guys! I can see the beauty of the new kitchen and I know you have wanted this so badly for so long. Good job John and Bryan!!!!!!

Paula said...

wow this looks like it is going to awsome. i have some before and after pictures of my kitchen on some older posts. maybe john and bryan can come and put my cabinets back up because after i took then down, sanded then, painted then, then put them back...they now randomly fall off of the walls!

Angela said...

Rock on. I love kitchen remodels (the after part, not the before or during) because your kitchen is where so many people gravitate toward. And yay for getting rid of that tile!

Neurotic Atty said...

Good for you because, girl, you clearly NEEDED a new kitchen! How have you been raising a child with that kitchen? I'm sure you must be giddy with anticipation! Can't wait to see the finished product!

BTW, congrats on Louisville's victory! I cried over our loss (mostly because I so wanted it for those kids), but I'm glad the 'Ville is still in. Go Cards!

Janice said...

Whoo-hoo!! That's so exciting, Jennifer!!! I have to tell you we have a similar fake brick on kitchen backsplash and I can't stand it. We painted it white to relieve some of the ugliness but it's still an eye sore with me.

We have a dishwasher - the brand is called "Janice", he-he. Seriously, we do have one but I end up washing the dishes anyway.

I can't wait to see the final result. I love kitchen remodels!!!

Kimberly said...

How exciting!!! It's gonna look awesome!!

MIL said...

Bryan should remember our previous horrible kitchen. Yours lasted 57 years, and our "new" one is only 20+ years old. Some new owners someday can do this one over. It IS nice to have a new one - I didn't have a dishwasher either!

Alicia said...

Wow! It's like HGTV on your blog! I just love before and after shots and I can't wait to see the after pics of your kitchen. And I'm all for the "jalapeno jelly" green walls, although I'm having a hard time picturing the color. I've just never had jalapeno jelly before. Can't wait to see it!